The Radnor Township School District Parent-Teacher Organizations (RTSD PTOs) are excited to offer a variety of ways for the Radnor community to give back and learn during the sixth annual district-wide Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service on January 17, 2022.
This year's event will feature:
1. Kickoff Districtwide "Day of Giving" on January 17, 2022 from 10am-1pm at Radnor High School. Please join us in donating the below items:
- Size 6 diapers, Size 4T/5T Pull Ups, and Advance Similac Formula for City Team
- Toiletries for the Wayne Food Pantry
- Gently used books for Centro de Apoyo Comunitario
- Toothbrushes, toothpaste and floss for Community of Volunteers in Medicine
- $25 gift cards to Acme/Target/Walmart*
- Letters and drawings of welcome and encouragement*
- Cradles to Crayons items - please see wish list here
- PB&J sandwiches to support Life Center of Eastern Delaware County (can be made at home and individually packed in Ziploc; 2 sandwiches can be placed in a brown paper lunch bag)
* Letters/drawings and gift cards will be included in Welcome Packets given to newly arrived Afghan refugees.
2. Weeklong donation collections at each school
· RES will collect toiletries for the Wayne Food Pantry
· WES will collect gently used books for Centro de Apoyo Comunitario; and toothbrushes, toothpaste and floss for Community of Volunteers in Medicine
· RMS will collect $25 gift cards to Acme/Target/Walmart and letters/drawings of welcome and encouragement to be included in welcome packets for Afghan refugees at Nationalities Services Center.
· RHS will collect items for Cradles to Crayons
3. Read-Aloud for elementary school students on MLK Day, 1/17 at 10am on zoom (elementary schools will share more details on specifics).
Specifically at Radnor Middle School, we are partnering with Nationalities Services Center, a Philly non-profit organization that provides comprehensive services to empower immigrants and refugees to thrive in our communities and pursue a just future. Students and families can give back and learn about NSC in 3 different ways:
1) View a 5-min video (We Are Neighbors) that introduces the kinds of people served by NSC and the hope that immigrants and refugees have for a better life in Philadelphia. [Content Warning: Mention of violence at 3:10. Parents/guardians are advised to watch with students.]
2) Donate! NSC is collecting physical gift card donations to grocery stores (Acme is preferable) and general retailers (Target and Walmart are preferable) in $25 amounts for newly arrived Afghan refugees.
3) Create letters and/and drawings of welcome and encouragement to newly arrived Afghan refugees. English is fine (Pashto and Dari are the major languages for Afghans). Please keep your messages positive and encouraging. Messages can be aimed at adults, teens, or children. Messages should not include your full name or any personal contact information.
Any questions, please contact email@example.com